More than 1 million Shanghainese are residing overseas, either living or studying in 159 countries and regions around the world, with the United States being the most popular destination, authorities said recently.
The number of overseas Chinese with Shanghai hukou (permanent residence permit) and Shanghai native with foreign citizenship reached 1.02 million, surging 50 percent within the past eight years, according to the latest report.
Among the 1.02 million people, 41 percent have acquired foreign citizenship.
The US, Australia, Japan and Canada are the top four destinations as about 71 percent of overseas Shanghainese live in these countries, according to the report.
The city also has 1.08 million returned overseas Shanghainese, including students who once studied abroad and their spouses, a number that soared about 48 percent compared with the figure in 2004, according to the report.
- Living in China: Shanghai holds the highest population of foreigners
- Living in China: Foreign expert numbers on the rise in Shanghai
- Education in China: 43 percent of Shanghai students consider studying overseas
- China, Socialism & Consumer Behavior: World adapts to waves of Chinese tourists
- China, Socialism & Consumer Behavior: Chinese travelers shop until they drop
This entry was posted on Thursday, August 16th, 2012 at 5:17 PM
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.