Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Economico e Social (BNDES) approved financing of R$ 445.7 million (nearly 300 million US dollars) for the construction of eight wind farms in Rio Grande do Sul. With a total installed capacity of 150 MW, these farms will start operation between July 2012 and September 2013.
The funds will be allocated to Special Purpose Entities (SPEs) Windfarms Palmares S/A, with four wind farms and BNDES financing of R$ 153.6 million; Ventos da Lagoa S/A, with two wind farms and funding of R$ 150.8 million, and the Ventos do Litoral Energia S/A, with two other parks and financing of R$ 141.2 million.
All plants already have contracts for selling power of 20 years in the Regulated Contracting Environment (ACR), and a park with a contract under Programme of Incentives for Alternative Electricity Sources (Proinfa), five winners of the 2nd auction Reserve Power (2009), one of the 3rd Auction Reserve Power (2010) and an auction of the Alternative (2010).
Controlled by Enerfin do Brasil, the companies will build wind farms in the towns of Palmares do Sul and Osorio. The parks to be deployed by the Ventos da Lagoa and Ventos do Litoral in Osorio, totaling 100 MW, is the direct extension of the complex company Southern Winds, located in the city in 2006, under Proinfa, with power of 150 MW and financing of R $ 465 million from BNDES.
Since 2005, BNDES has already approved funding of $ 4.5 billion for investments in wind farms, which account for an installed capacity of 1,520 MW. Currently, the Bank has a portfolio of other R$ 4.2 billion related to new projects for the wind sector.
- China, Technology, Innovation & the Environment: offshore wind power expected to reach 30 gigawatts by 2020
- Internet in Brazil: Fund announces U.S. $ 130 million to invest in Brazilian Startups
- Information Technology in Brazil: New Plan to Boost Innovation
- Consumer Behavior in Brazil: 50,000 millionaires, with nearly 240 billion US dollars invested
- Internet in Brazil: banking transactions on smartphones grow more than four times in 2012