The Chinese Association for Mental Health says young people aged between 15 and 34 are more likely to die at their own hand than by any other means. The suicide rate is reported to be higher in the countryside than cities, with more women taking their own lives.
In some countries the leading cause of death among young people is road accidents. In China, it is suicide.
Studies come up with a number of reasons for the higher rates of female suicide in rural areas. In particular, doctors say that arguments about marriage cause rural women to commit suicide.
But the problem is not just in the countryside. In the city of Shanghai, three students have tried to kill themselves since the school year began at the start of September. Another student, a 12-year-old boy, died when he jumped from a sixth floor window.
- Watch Joshua Walters’ “On being just crazy enough” talk at TED
- Internet in China: Rural Internet usage reaches 18.5%
- Living in China: Shanghai air quality takes unhealthy turn
- China, Socialism & Consumer Behavior: Shanghai’s number of millionaires grows
- Education in China: Fewer high school grads fight for university place
This entry was posted on Saturday, October 11th, 2008 at 3:27 PM
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Posted in: China